} -->

Monday, March 30, 2009

Cranky Crafting at the Cranky Yellow


Alex and I were on Cherokee St. when we noticed several strange textile sculptures strung in a storefront window. Above them, a sign read "The Astounding Cranky Yellow." We were drawn inside, I think, because we were both wearing textiles, and one of my shirt stripes was yellow.

The Cranky Yellow is an independent publishing house/gallery for art, music, film, literature and textiles (an all-around artist's co-operative). Among other odds and ends, they also sell vintage knitting patterns. The best of the bunch was a 1948 Beehive Hand Knits Socks for Men & Women. As I purchased the book, the uncranky guy working the front counter mentioned a grand re-opening back in February, but I was so excited about my sock book I couldn't listen to the details. I don't even knit.

Men's Classic Rib Toe
k 1, sl 1, k 1, p.s.s.o., knit across to within 3 sts from end of needle, then k 2 tog, k 1; on 2nd needle, k1, sl 1, k 1, p.s.s.o., knit to end of needle; on 3rd needle, knit to within last 3 sts, k2 tog, k1. 2nd rnd: Knit around. Repeat the last 2 rnds alternately until 24 sts remain on rnd. Weave sts together.

Huh? Well, once I find an English version of this pattern, you may soon be able to stop by the Cranky Yellow and purchase some of my very own Men's Classic Rib Sock Toe creations. Not the full sock, just the toe part. Or, Toezies, as I like to call them. I haven't read beyond that, but once I do I suspect you'll be able to find Healzies and Archzies in store sometime late fourth quarter. Just in time for stocking stuffers...filled with knitted coalzies.

Cranky Yellow
2847 Cherokee St.
St. Louis, MO 63118
314.773.4499

No comments: