} -->

Monday, March 9, 2009

Diorama Panorama



A fake ficus tree and a leather chair were nestled in the far left corner, next to two retro-model photobooths, evenly spaced along the back wall. I imagined walking into the photobooth storefront and taking a few pictures today, using my arms to spell S-O-C-K in each photo block, or showing only my feet. Afterwards, I'd take a rest in the chair and review my photos, reminiscing about a happier time in my life only moments earlier.

The door to 3123 Morganford Rd. was locked, so instead I did what anyone else would do in my situation. I took pictures of the photobooths.

I've used the old photobooth at the City Museum several times, and I've seen photobooths at the Mad Art Gallery on few occasions. Hoping to find more local booths, I stumbled across photobooth.net, which has compiled an extensive list of photobooth locations from around the world. Their visit through St. Louis was in 2005, so I decided to update the status of the booths. Unfortunately, the list has dwindled:

St. Louis
Lucky Strike, Hazelwood (closed)
City Museum, St. Louis
Galleria Movie Theater, St. Louis (waiting for update)
Mad Art Gallery, St. Louis (on occasion)
St. Louis Centre I, St. Louis (closed)
St. Louis Centre II, St. Louis (closed)

Besides the fun of cramming into a small booth with one or more loved ones or loved socks, is the joy of being instantly rewarded with photo prints. It's like getting chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant. Both should arrive within 3-4 minutes, or something's broken.


*Photo Location: Photobooth|Stl - Photobooth Rental Company. Their website lists them at 4406 Arsenal St., but the storefront shown is at 3123 Morganford Rd.

No comments: