} -->

Saturday, March 14, 2009

How to start your very own blog about, say, socks.

There are a lot of really interesting blogs at your fingertips these days, but making your own blog stand apart from the crowd and its fingertips is easy. Simply pick a subject that isn't as exciting or thought provoking as things like sky-diving or science.

Become a master of the subject you choose. Experience it. Study it. Make soap carvings of it. Completely immerse yourself in your subject. I thought I was familiar with my subject, yet I wear socks Labor Day through Memorial Day and sometimes struggle to present new material to my reader. To compensate, I often wear two or three pairs of socks at a time, keeping copious notes of their characteristics. I also get misty-eyed, knowing I'll never know everything about socks. Just most things.

Who is your reader? Well, there are millions of internet users in the world. There are millions of blogs. Most of those blogs will be better than yours, so that leaves one reader for your blog. I'm the reader of my blog, and I'm glad I have this forum to say I have so much more to say about socks. Now decide who your reader should be, write, then pester the hell out of Gary.

No comments: